Monday, February 8, 2016

Day One Part One

I read somewhere that as we age it is really important to keep challenging ourselves to learn new things, stretch our sense of self and get out of our comfort zone. You would think that living in Italy and learning Italian would be enough to qualify for all of these. Somehow, it wasn't. So, approaching my 70th year, I decided to take on learning to cook. 

One day, I'm sure this will be within my reach.



Now a few comments about me and cooking before I begin.

I was raised in a household of 3 girls, an Italian father and a southern mother. Cooking was something we were all expected to do, and we all appreciated good food. My older sister, Diane, was a great cook, if you didn't count the calories, and my younger sister Sarah, mastered the art of making cream puffs in 12th grade Home Economics class. Then there was me. I didn't take Home Ec. The thought of learning to sew, make a decent meal and learn household managent were an anathema to me.  I thought it would be more useful to learn to play soccer and the saxophone. It wasn't and I wasn't good at either.


Then I got married, and as a shower present, everyone of my relatives gave me a 3x5 laminated card with hand printed directions of their favorite recipes. Mind you these were half southern and half Italian women. I was insulted. I wanted books on 15th century European comparative literature, which was, at the time, my current interest. 


So I get married. Husband number one. He was in the Air Force. I learned to open cans of cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup and navy bean soup. I gained 20 pounds in 6 months. I stopped trying and looked for take out food. Husband number two was a good cook, no need to attempt anything there. 


Then there was the Stoic One. On our first date I went to a French restaurant, told them I had a date, they were thrilled, and they fixed a fantastic French meal, which I put in my lovely pots and pans when I got home and pretended I had spent the day cooking.  The Stoic One was impressed with the meal, and how clean the kitchen was. Needless to say, my lack of ability became evident as time went on. He, surprising himself but not me, turned into be a very good cook. I find recipes, he says he can't do them, stresses, tries, and turns out a very good meal. 


Now, I'm in Italy, where everyone cooks, or so it seems to me. I think really, how hard could this be? All you have to do is be able to read, follow directions and you're home free. Did I mention I'm an optimist? So I decide to do a Julia and Julia kind of thing except using The Silver Spoon as my guidebook. The Silver Spoon is the Italian cooking bible, kind of like Joy of Cooking in the old days. 




We had a planned trip to Sicily for 40 days, so I lug the huge cook book with me, a bottle of vanilla, an electric beater, and a rolling pin and head off to my cooking adventure in Sicily.


As you can imagine, things did not go as I had planned.




2 comments:

  1. While I am all in favor of doing something quixotic, I do indeed remember the famous banana pudding. Since the Stoic One is such a great cook, maybe you should take up watercolors.
    Love, Bratty Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do tell about the banana pudding.
    Love, ex-neighbor

    ReplyDelete